December 31, 2011

A New Years Eve get together with family.....

Today we had my Aunt Virginia, and cousin Patty, Chad, and Marissa over for a New Years Eve lunch.  Bryan and Marissa were also supposed to come, but sadly they had to cancel because of Marissa's father's open heart surgery today.  Kristi came too and we all had a great time together.  I made my very yummy sausage and lentil soup (thank you Cucina Cucina!), homemade macaroni and cheese, green salad and sourdough bread.  Chad made his famous Mexi-slaw with tortilla chips, and Marissa and Patty brought a couple of desserts...a chocolate and apricot cake, and a lemon/poppyseed cake.  We had a wonderful time chatting and catching up with each other.  Marissa is home from college (PLU in Tacoma) and it was fun to hear about her first year adventures.   She's having such a good time and has made lots of really good, Christian friends.  Patty and Chad have missed her, but are so happy that she is having a great college experience.  Marissa is a wonderful musician and pianist!  Audriana really impressed us all when she played a few songs for us today on the piano -- Sofia even played a song for us!  They arrived at noon and we spent the entire day and into the evening enjoying each others company.  We had a blast when the girls turned on the Wii and played "Just Dance 3".  So fun!  Everyone left close to 8pm, then the girls and I got our jammies on and snuggled on the couch to watch a Charlie Brown Christmas.  I made popcorn for us, too!
Sofia really wanted to make it to midnight tonight.....and at about 10pm, she said to me "mom, I don't think I am going to make it".   And she was right....drifted off to sleep right after I told her that I loved her.  Audriana will definitely make it.....she was reading Harry Potter #6 and then when Sofia fell asleep, we put in the HP #5 movie.


Martin was so happy that he was able to video chat with his sister, Mayra, in Nicaragua, tonight.  Since they are 2 hours ahead, he was able to ring in the New Year with them over the computer.  His sister took her computer outside, into the streets of San Marcos, and Martin was able to see and talk (!) to many of his neighbors.  He misses Nicaragua and his family and it was so cool to see and hear the fire works that were going on there.  He was so happy -- it almost made me cry -- and I think he did cry.  This is why I love technology.....look at the smile on his face.  What a fun memory to capture.





Video chatting with his family in Nicaragua.....what a way to bring in the New Year!

No comments: