Memorial Day for me brings my thoughts to my Dad, my grandparents, Aunt Tonn and Myron, and all of those that have gone before us -- many of them way too soon, many of them in combat serving our country. It's such a bitersweet day - and it always reminds me that life is to be cherished. Each day a blessing. Every minute with your loved ones is a treasure. I miss my Dad -- even though it has been 21 years since his passing (Sept 29 1988). I love to bring my kids up to the cemetary and let them experience my memories of him -- and let them "talk" to their grandpa. I feel so bad that they never got the chance to meet this wonderful man that would have been such a loving force in their lives. It is up to me to ensure that his memory stays alive and that they know what a great man he was. Today was ultra-special because we met up with Aunt Virginia (my dad's sister) and helped her put out flowers for my dad and my grandparents, Carl and Verona Schurra. I recognize that it must be so hard for her -- all these years all alone without her only brother, and without her parents. She is the only one left of the Schurra's -- so I am holding on tight to her and reaching out for her to share her memories with my kids. We attended the outdoor mass at the cemetary then went back to Aunt Virginia's house for a little lunch. It was a great day to be with family! I'm looking forward to tomorrow when Martin comes back home from San Francisco. He goes every Memorial Day to be with his daughters, Aura and Brianna -- sweet Denise Elayna, too!


During the service, I could not have been more proud of my girls. They were quiet and very well behaved. Sofia spent a lot of time making these "crosses" out of pine needes on her lawn chair -- do you think at 3 she comprehends just how profound that was? Amazing. The other very amazing thing that happened was that we were sitting next to one of my Dad's best friends, Duane Costa! I kept looking at him -- I knew I recognized him. After the service I asked him his name, and sure enough, it was him. I introduced myself as Jim Schurra's daughter, Pam. I know he was surprised and happy to see me....he made sure to tell me what a great man my dad was. I needed that today. What a wonderful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment