November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Festivities - Alfaro style!

This year there are many things that we are grateful for -- family, friends, health -- but nothing compares to the gratitude we feel now that Ryan is better and out of the hospital!




Our Thanksgiving began with a very cold walk through Manito Park at 8 in the morning! It couldn't have been over 25 degrees, so Martin and I got the girls bundled up and began our walk. We met my sister Kristi there and made it a true family affair. It was actually a Turkey Trot (3 mile run), but we did our own little walk through the park with the girls and had such a great time. It felt good to get out early and get in a little exercise before the big feast! The "entrance fee" was a canned food donation to the 2nd Harvest Food Bank, so Audriana gathered up our donation and was excited to deliver it. Now that she's 6, I am really starting to focus on these types of teachable moments about the need in the world -- especially since her dad comes from a country where poverty and need are the norm and a way of life. For Christmas this year the girls will do chores to earn money to send to the children of Nicaragua. Anyway, back to Thanksgiving! After the walk we stopped by the hospital to visit Ryan who had been admitted the day before for pneumonia. Poor thing -- he was so brave! Jay's daughter, Lisa, called us Wednesday night and said that they were on their way into Spokane from Ephrata because Ryan was being admitted. Scott stayed with Ryan at the hospital and Lisa and their 2 younger boys (Noah and Micah) stayed at the hotel. They were able to spend Thanksgiving at our house and we took food to Scott and Ryan at the hospital later that night. Ryan was finally released on Sunday after spending 4 nights at the hospital receiving super antibiotics via an IV. I know now the gratitude I feel everyday that the girls are healthy. It cannot be taked for granted. The Fam with the Turkey Man!




I'm so proud of Kristi being out with us in the freezing cold. The one thing she hates most in life is the freezing cold. Thanks for joining us, Kristi!



We have so many shots of Martin in the same pose -- arms outstretched. I'm not sure why. He always wants me to take this shot. It's funny. I guess I could do a collage or something of all the shots of him in this same pose in different locations. The first shot I remember taking of him like this was during my first trip to Nicaragua in 1994. It's a great shot of him with the ocean behind him. I'll have to find it and scan it in.....


Gobble Gobble -- Mr. Turkey man! I tried to get the girls to stand next to him for a picture and they both said "no"! I guess they've never seen a real live Turkey Man before?!

Audriana donating our food.

Visiting Ryan and bringing him Thanksgiving decorations for his room.

Our beautiful table decorations!


The girls worked so hard on making the Thanksgiving decorations for the table and the front door. Notice the "Welcome Friends and Family" sign that Audriana made? Sofia decided to color hers all the colors of the rainbow!



How perfect that we got the first snowfall of the year on Thanksgiving. It was a peaceful and beautiful sight.

Mike and Jackie joined us, as well as Aunt Tonn, Kristi, and Lisa and the boys! It was awesome!

Oh yah, one last thing......when we did our "grateful circle" tonight before dinner, Audriana was thankful for her cousins, and Sofia was thankful for God in her heart. Total sweetness.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

1 comment:

Christensen family said...

I never knew I had such athletes as neighbors! Way to go! I wish I were here to do the Turkey trot... maybe next year! Sorry to hear about Ryan, glad to know all is well!